The JATC has formulated a rigorous 5 year apprenticeship training program that leads to building trades journeyman, a professional craftsman who meets the needs of our signatory contractors and clients.
Basic qualifications for application into the Local 396
- Must be at least 18 years of age. Picture ID required.
- High school graduate or adequate proof of or equivalent educational attainment.
- Transcripts of grades required.
- Must be a resident of Columbiana, Mahoning or Trumbull County.
- Must take test as prescribed by the JATC committee. These may include tests by the Ohio State
- Employment Service.
- Personal interview by the committee.
- Applicants selected for our program will be required to take a physical examination and drug test by a physician approved by the Joint Apprenticeship Committee.
Upon being accepted into the program apprentices will follow a course curriculum consisting of a combination of classroom instruction, lab work, and on the job training. Classes include backflow, welding in stick, mig, and tig, medical gas and brazing certification, basic electricity, HVAC controls, math and science in the piping field, plan drawing, blue print reading and recently installed computerized classroom and laboratory which will become an integral part of our training. This facility will introduce apprentices to the fundamentals of CAD (computerized aided drawing)
These courses are also offered to any current Local 396 member who wishes to upgrade his/her skills. Our goal is to provide our signatory contractors with highly trained and efficient mechanics who can get the job done in a timely manner and under budget.
The brothers and sisters working in Local 396 jurisdiction are proud to know they are making a good living and are able to support their families and contribute back to the local community in which they live.